Last Updated on June 16, 2023
How to start a career in the world of Advertising
A career in Advertising is one of the most popular and high paying career choices around the world. It’s a fascinating, dynamic industry that offers a variety of opportunities for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. If you’re interested in starting a career in advertising, this blog will provide you with the important information you need to know. So if you’re interested in starting a career in advertising, be sure to read on!
What is Advertising?
Advertising is a form of communication used to influence an audience to take a particular action, such as buying a product, or to increase brand awareness. It is done through various media, including television, radio, print, and digital platforms. The ad industry is growing rapidly, and there are many career opportunities available in advertising.
The different types of career options in Advertising
Advertising can be an intriguing and profitable profession. It can heavily influence our everyday lives and there are different types of study programs available that can give you the knowledge and skills you need to succeed in the field. Before diving into these courses, however, it’s important to know the fundamental concepts of advertising.
Here are the different types of advertising:
Print Advertising – This includes newspapers, magazines, billboards, and other printed materials.
Television Advertising – This includes commercial ads, infomercials, product placement, and sponsored programs.
Radio Advertising – This includes radio spots, jingles, and sponsored programs.
Online Advertising – This includes search engine optimization, social media marketing, banner ads, and pay-per-click advertising.
Outdoor Advertising – This includes billboards, bus shelters, and other outdoor signage.
Direct Mail Advertising – This includes direct mail pieces, catalogues, and postcards.
Mobile Advertising – This includes mobile web, SMS, and app-based advertising.
The education and experience required for a career in Advertising
A career in advertising typically requires a bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, communications, or a related field. Courses in psychology, economics, sociology, business, and web design may also be beneficial.
Many employers also prefer candidates with experience in public relations, marketing, or creative writing. In addition to educational requirements, most employers prefer to hire individuals with excellent writing, communication, and organisational skills.
Additionally, knowledge of graphic design, web design, and digital marketing is often beneficial for this type of career.
The best educational institutes to offer course in Advertising
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), Delhi
- Mudra Institute of Communications Ahmedabad (MICA), Ahmedabad
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (SIMC), Pune
- Xavier Institute of Communications (XIC), Mumbai
- Amity School of Communication, Noida
- Indian Institute of Advertising (IIA), Mumbai
- International Institute of Mass Media (IIMM), Delhi
- School of Communication and Creative Arts (SCCA), Kolkata
Benefits of building a career in Advertising
- Learn the skills to promote products, services and ideas effectively – Advertising is more than just coming up with creative slogans and designing eye-catching visuals. It involves understanding consumer behaviour, economics, as well as researching market to create effective marketing campaigns.
- Develop a better understanding of consumer behaviour – Studying advertising involves gaining an understanding of how people make decisions, why they purchase certain products, and lastly, how to reach target audiences.
- Gain experience with a variety of communication tools – Advertising includes the use of television, radio, print, outdoor, digital, and social media marketing.
- Enhance creative thinking and problem-solving abilities – Thinking outside the box and coming up with creative solutions to problems is a key component of advertising.
- Increase marketability – Having a degree in advertising can give you an edge when applying for jobs in the marketing field. Additionally companies are looking for employees who understand the complexities of advertising.
Career options in Advertising
Career options in Advertising vary depending on the individual’s experience and expertise. Some of the possible career paths in Advertising include:
- Creative Director
- Account Executive
- Media Planner
- Digital Strategist
- Art Director
- Brand Strategist
- Project Manager
- Production Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Advertising Sales Representative
- Public Relations Manager
Let ShikshaGurus guide you in choosing the right path
Not sure which career path to take? Let ShikshaGurus be your guide! Our team of experienced professionals can provide you with sound advice and resources to help you make the best decision for you and your future.
Basically, advertising is an interesting and rapidly growing field that offers a number of benefits and opportunity. So, if you’re interested in starting a career in advertising, we have mentioned the different courses and career opportunity that are available. We hope you find this blog helpful, keep reading!